There is a huge misconception of what public relations really is and what public relations firms really do. They are not just companies that you pay to promote your business on social media sites. To clear up this misconception, let’s start with defining PR. Public relations is a field that focus on shaping a company or individuals appearance in the eyes of the public or the eyes of their target audience. Let’s dive a little deeper and talk about the different ways a PR firm helps shape the audiences view of a company.
- Social Media- We have already mentioned social media briefly. Social media is just one of the many factors that a PR firm looks at, but the most commonly understood way. Often a PR firm will use social media to put ads and reviews directly in front of potential consumers. PR firms also help develop meaningful content and share interesting information that can attract more attention and help shape the way the business or person they are promoting appears.
- Media/Analyst Relations- A good PR firm will have great connections. These connections will help get you in contact with the best journalists and analysts that talk about your field or industry. This will help get your company seen by the most eyes possible. These analysts can also provide helpful suggestions as well.
- Strategic Narrative Marketing- A good PR firm will sit down with you to create a unique narrative, story, or angle. This is of vital importance. When you are competing with companies that provide the exact same services, it is important to stand out and be memorable in some way. A good PR firm will help you with this.
- Content Marketing- Content marketing is a big factor in PR. A good content marketing machine will help set you apart from the competition by providing proof to your target audience that your company has the knowledge and expertise they need from the type of business you provide.
- Leadership- A PR firm is going to help you with leadership. This means they will work with you directly to make sure your are as involved in the process as possible. This means your PR firm will work with you to get your company seen and heard in a variety of ways. This might mean taking interviews, applying for awards, and arranging different speaking engagements. It might also mean creating new content to further help you stand apart from the competition.
This has just been a very small glimpse at what a public relations firm should do for you and with you. If you find yourself working with a public relations agency that is only working on helping you in one or two aspects, that is not the type of company you want to work with. Catapult Public and Investor Relations is a great example of a PR firm that works with their clients in as many ways as possible. One thing that sets them apart from others is that they believe in helping you set your business apart by building your own category that will make you truly be one of a kind.