Garages are often overlooked features of a house that can actually provide quite a bit of style and aesthetic to a home. When one thinks of a garage door, it is likely they have a specific idea in their head: a plain, neutral colored overhead door. Some people may think of a small row of windows across the top. Some people may think of aluminum garage doors dented with hail damage or a rogue basketball that crashed into it. Some people may even think of the old wooden garage doors they grew up with. The reality is though, garage doors come in so many different styles that can increase the look and feel of a house. It is worth putting a little extra thought into the style of a garage door to make sure one gets the most attractive model for their home, increasing its value and curb appeal. Here are some garage door styles that have been increasing in popularity across the country.
- Carriage or barn style garage doors- This style of garage door is a bit different from the general style most people imagine because the doors swing or slide outwards (like barn doors) rather than rolling up like garages do. This style provides a distinct, classy, and even regal look to a home. Many people who are going for a modern farmhouse style home will opt for this style of garage door. It is also good for people who do not want to block their ceilings in their garages. For roll up garages, they roll up and block the ceiling inside, which can potentially block any extra storage or prohibit someone from hanging things there like bikes or out of season equipment. Carriage or barn style garage doors will prevent this.
- Steel garage doors- Steel residential garage doors are growing in popularity because they are by far the most durable garage doors. Top of the line steel doors can even come with lifetime warranties that ensure they will continue to work like new throughout their lifetime.
- Aluminum garage doors- Aluminum garage doors are another common style of door. They are generally much cheaper than steel, though not quite as durable. Aluminum doors, however, are more lightweight and might be a good choice for a family with small children who worry about garage door safety.
- Wood garage doors- One of the most common types of residential garage doors is the wooden garage doors, which have a bit of a vintage vibe to them. These are particularly attractive on older, more historic type homes, however they do require more regular maintenance because the wear and tear on wood is a little more intense. Regular cleaning, sealing and refreshing of paint will be necessary to keep wood doors looking their best.
- Modern panel garage doors- For people who enjoy a more crisp, modern aesthetic, modern panel garage doors are a good choice. These doors often combine aluminum and frosted glass panels which provide a bit more of an industrial yet artistic look to a home while retaining privacy.
While there are numerous more styles of garage doors, the above are a good place to start when a homeowner is thinking about the garage door style that is right for their home.