Window treatments like blinds and shades can be expensive, so you want to ensure that you keep them looking and functioning their best for as long as possible. This means knowing how to care for the kind of options you have in your home. Not all blinds and shades can be cared for in the same way, so knowing the right techniques can make a difference in how long your shades last. We have some tips to help you keep shades and blinds in great shape.
- Dust Regularly: One very important part of keeping blinds clean and in great shape is to take the time to dust them in a regular manner. Dust and dirt can start adding up, creating layers that can damage wood. Wipe blinds and shades with a clean dry cloth to remove dust.
- Cleaning Wood: Cleaning wood blinds and shutters can be simple if you use the right products. There are wood cleaners that are designed for shutters, making them the best option. Take the time to ask an expert about the options you have to ensure that you are using the right products. For many shutter types, a bit of white vinegar and water is the perfect solution. It cleans and provides a natural shine.
- Bamboo Shades: These are delicate types of shades that can be somewhat challenging to clean. You can keep them free of dust by using a delicate duster. It is not recommended that you use water or liquids of any sort to get the job done, since this can destroy the shades. You can air them outside if you need to.
- Parchment Shades: These are even more delicate than bamboo shades, so you need to be extra careful. Dusting is the only thing you should consider when it comes to keeping them clean. If you are not sure what else to try, speak with experts who could help you when it comes to stains.
- Metal Blinds: These are very simple to clean. There are lots of products designed just for these kinds of blinds, giving you a lot of options. You can wipe them clean on a regular basis, but if you want a deep clean, you can also remove them and submerge them in a bathtub of water and cleaning liquid for a thorough scrub.
- Vinyl Shades: Vinyl is a bit more delicate than metal, but it can still withstand cleaning fluids. Read up on the best options for the type of vinyl you have in your home. Usually, submerging them in water will not damage these blinds, either.
Having window treatments in your home means taking care of them to ensure that you do not end up having to purchase new ones too soon. A company like Blinds N Shades Express can help you not only in selecting the best shades and blinds, but also in the process of keeping them looking their best. With a bit of care, you can enjoy your window coverings for years to come.