Everyone wants their home to be safe, but in many cases the only unsafe things about it are the things you never think of. That is why it is important to get your home inspected, for several different kinds of health hazards that you may be unaware of. Before you buy or sell a home, it is important to invest in these inspections, as well as any necessary work that accompanies it. One of the most important things to have your home inspected for is radon, which is a common gas found throughout the world. It is also a known carcinogen, which is why it is so important to undergo an inspection frequently, just to be safe. Radon inspections can tell you if you have unsafe levels of radon in your home. Once you have discovered this, though, you will need to call a radon abatement specialist, like SWAT Environmental.
Radon is a dangerous gas, but in a different way than carbon monoxide is. Carbon monoxide causes suffocation, and it is something that sets in very quickly. On the other hand, radon is a gas that over time causes health problems. In particular, exposure to radon causes lung cancer. As a matter of fact, other than smoking, radon is the leading cause of lung cancer, and it affects many people every year. Because it is something that develops over time like that, it is important to get regular inspections. Without them, you would have no way of knowing whether or not there was excessive radon in your home, until it was too late. Most people think of getting radon inspections right when they buy or sell a home, but it is actually best to get them regularly, even if you have been living in the same home for awhile. Once the radon is identified, you have no choice but to schedule radon mitigation to get rid of it. This will make it so your home is livable again. The process can take some time, so you may need to spend some time out of your home, while the radon specialists get it removed from the premises. Because it is a gas, it has to be pumped out and replaced with good quality air.
As for what radon is, it is a noble gas, and it is found all over the planet. It is specifically found in the soil, and it is a result of radioactive decay that is happening within the Earth’s crust. While it is a natural process and a part of nature, it is still extremely hazardous, and it needs to be dealt with if it is in your home. The reason it is able to enter homes and other buildings is because of the nature of light gases. They rise upwards, since they are lighter than air. This means that if a building happens to be on top of a deposit of this gas, a lot of it will rise into the basement. This is why radon removal often has to focus on the basement level of a building.